The Foundation is principally engaged in advocacy and providing succor to children suffering from SCD. At inception in November 2007, MAISCEF proactively engaged in community counseling services in rural parts of Nasarawa and Plateau States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). The Foundation also offers free genotype testing to sensitize people and free medicines distribution, including anti–malarials.
Other activities carried out by the Foundation include:
- Avocacy: MAISCEF carries out different sensitization and advocacy program to create awareness on SCD.
- Hospital Visits: MAISCEF undertakes out hospital visits to assist indigent in-patients to settle treatment costs as well as provide counseling services.
- Workshops/Seminars: This activity is carried out especially to train and educate local health workers.
- Free Genotype Testing: Occasionally MAISCEF offers free genotype testing for the general public, in order to enable them know their genotype and help prevent the disease.
- Data Collection and Registration: The Foundation visits villages and communities to register SCD patients under the NGO. This database is used for the delivery of various services to affected persons.
- Medicines Distribution: Relevant free drugs are distributed to less privileged patients to help them manage their predicament.
- Counselling: Sessions are carried out in Public Institutions, Universities, villages, communities, hospitals and other public places to educate people on SCD its prevention and management.